Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Yesterday's Milestone

Yesterday, the 20th of August, marked a 'milestone' for me: I have been in Germany for one month!

It seems like I've been gone for longer than a month, I have to say. When your world gets turned upside down (not in a negative way...), your lifestyle and daily routine uprooted and changed, it can feel like time shifts from going at the speed of light to crawling along like a slug.

The past month has been full of highs and lows; the highs being reunited with some of my dearest friends, starting a job in the field I want to work in and traveling. The lows being the Sunday anti-fun day (when everything is closed, including grocery stores, bakeries, etc) and getting used to it, and the usual being away from home adjustments (homesickness). Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be here. I am able to finally begin my career in the field in International Education, and I am enjoying learning everything the job has to offer. It always takes a little adjustment at the beginning to find your way, and navigate new surroundings. This transition has been one of the smoother ones, as every time I make a big move like this I get a little better at figuring out how to find my way.

I'll leave you with a thought of gratitude. I am thankful each and every day for my family, my friends, and the positive experiences that I have had on my journey thus far.

Prayer of gratitude:
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


As each day comes to us refreshed and anew, so does my gratitude renew itself daily.  The breaking of the sun over the horizon is my grateful heart dawning upon a blessed world.  ~Terri Guillemets

No comments:

Post a Comment