Upon arrival at the train station in Mainz (which Eva took me and my million pounds of luggage to, and even helped put me on the train--thank you, Eva!), there was already a 10 minute delay for my train. We went to the counter and asked what the next train was so Bietigheim-Bissingen. The attendant offered to call ahead and ask if they would wait for my train to arrive in Vaihingen (where I had to change to a regional train).
As we were nearing my stop, I got all my stuff together, got to the doorway (in Germany, you practically have to get up one stop before you actually need to get off, otherwise people start lining up and you'll never get off in time...). Once the train stopped, I pushed the button to open the door. Nothing happened. I pushed it again, nothing happened. By that time I had seen the other doors open at the other end of the carriage. Great, now with all my stuff, two huge suitcases etc., the door won't open! Luckily I moved relatively quickly to the other door, and a nice man who was also getting off helped me with my other suitcase, and I was able to get off the train. Whew. That was difficult!
Then a train came in on the track across from where I had just gotten off the train, that was a regional train. Ok, is that my train or not? I didn't hear what the conductor said (she said she'd make an announcement if the train was going to wait or not, which she never did). I didn't want to risk getting on the wrong train, and knew that in about 20 minutes another train would come, so I didn't get on. In reality it probably was my train, but there was no way I was going to get on and end up in who-knows-where Germany.
Finally, after a minor delay, I arrived to a smiling Isabel (one of my new colleagues) at the Bietigheim-Bissingen train station. Since there is no train station in my town (or a grocery store, or a bakery! GASP!), I got off in the next biggest town and we drove to (Klein) Ingersheim. **Side note** There is "Gross Ingersheim" and "Klein Ingersheim". The two are separated by about a mile and a half to two miles. Gross Ingersheim is where the grocery store is, where a bakery is, and a pharmacy. Outside of that, not a whole lot else....
We arrived in Klein Ingersheim, and to the castle at around 4:30pm. I met Frau Leibrecht, who is my boss' mother-in-law, who lives on the third floor of the castle. She was quite complimentary about my German, and was very very friendly. **Side note** The Leibrecht Family (who I work for) owns the castle that I work in, a Chateau is Strasbourg, France where we have another office, a castle in Heidelberg where in September our company is opening the European Study Center among other buildings across Europe.
Isabel took me to the top floor (4th floor) where our offices are, and I was able to meet some of my colleagues, see where my desk would be and where other people within the company work. On the ground floor of the castle is who-knows-what. There are so many hidden doors, rooms, etc that you don't know what is behind them (and have no right to look, really). On the second floor is the laundry room, a kitchen and dining room. The third floor is where Frau Leibrecht lives, and the fourth floor are our offices.
The other young women in the office have set up what is called the "Lunch Club". The Lunch Club is for anyone who wants to participate, and cook lunch for the others in the office. There is a sign up, and depending on who is in the office, who is on vacation, etc... you end up cooking about once every two weeks, for about 5-10 people. It is really nice because it is one less meal you have to worry about cooking, and you get to spend time with your colleagues not talking about work. This past week we've been able to sit outside on the terrace and enjoy the beautiful sunshine, rose garden and view over the Neckar River.
I'll leave you with some shots of the castle grounds. Enjoy!
From the terrace, looking out over the wine fields and Neckar River
Schloss Ingersheim
View towards the terrace
No comments:
Post a Comment