I have been really missing my spin classes over here. Boy, do I miss them! I was going at least 4 times a week, plus swimming and elliptical/running the other days (including Saturday and Sunday!). Of course I wanted to keep up my workout routine here, but new I wouldn't have access to a gym right away. I am so glad I had been cross training, and been able to run (a sunny day in January was when I had my epiphany- I CAN do this!). You hopefully read my post about the Reebok Women's 5k Fun Run I did on Saturday in Frankfurt, and know that was technically my second 5k. That one felt a lot better since the first one was the last leg of the sprint tri.
Yesterday, Wednesday, I did my first run in Wiesbaden after Eva had shown me where to access the "Springwater Trail of Wiesbaden". It is beautiful! Only a couple hills to get up and then it is pretty flat (minus one big hill getting back to the house).
After my 3 miles yesterday, I felt really good. When I got up this morning I thought, hey, why not try a little more? What's another half mile on either side? Especially when the nice lady on the Nike running app tells you how far you've gone. I decided that I was going to run 4 miles. Never in my life have I run 4 miles straight. Without stopping. I thought, ok, so, let's do this! Just see what it feels like. Why not? Yesterday you felt good. So, go and do it! (Plus burning more calories is always good!).
I set off on my run, out the door down the sidewalk and to the street. Across the street, up the hill and on to the trail. About half a mile in to the run: my. worst. nightmare. I see a dog out of the corner of my eye. Great. Anyone who knows me KNOWS that I am afraid of dogs. Have been my entire life. That's what happens when you keep getting attacked. Well, this stupid dog starts running towards me. Que panik. I look and see two people sitting on a bench. I go towards them, continually looking back to see when that stupid dog is going to bite me. As I approached the couple I said (in German): "I'm afraid of dogs!" The man replied, "It's ok. He must have gotten away from his owner. Stay here and I'll keep him away from you." As the dog approached, he talked to it, told it to go away and keep going- which luckily he did... and after he passed I turned to the couple and said, "Man, that is one huge dog!" The woman replied, "Yes. And he has one BIG mouth." To which I replied, "All the better to eat me with!" They laughed, I laughed and as the annoying dog galloped away, I continued my run. Thanks a lot, dog, for making my mile pace that much slower.
I have to say that 4 miles was tough but good. This is a major accomplishment for me. Seriously. I am well proud of myself. Though tomorrow I think will be an easy day, as I'm a little sore still this afternoon. I guess I need some advice from you runners out there! Any would be helpful! Thanks!
So now I leave you with this beautiful picture that I took on my run this morning. The fields of the Springwater Trail of Wiesbaden. Enjoy! (Did I mention that the weather is 93 degrees. Stifling hot with lots of humidity. Good thing I ran early enough!)

No comments:
Post a Comment