Last year, I think our first trick-or-treater showed up at about 4:30? If I can remember correctly. We were out of candy by 5:30 or 6. At one point, I just sat outside on the front porch instead of people ringing the doorbell and having to open the door 5,000 times. Plus, people drive their kids into our neighborhood in mini-vans. I'm sorry, but the principle behind it is you go in your own neighborhood, where you know your neighbors. Not to some other neighborhood where you think because the houses are new that you will get good candy. Uhm, not in this economy! Anyway, when I know the kids live in our neighborhood, I might give them an extra piece (that is unless they play in the middle of the street and don't get out of my way when I am driving in my car...in that case, they get what I determine to be the icky candy that is left. Haha!).
The next major holiday that will be celebrated here is Christmas. There are already (and even for at least a month now) Christmas Stollen cakes out, gingerbread cookies and even chocolate Advent calendars. Yes, I have perused the isles, and have been scouting which Advent calendar I will treat myself to this year. I'm thinking Lindt...if you're going to do it, you might as well go for the good stuff, right? I think so.
With this time of year in Germany comes my favorite cookies, the Spekulatius. They are by far the most tasty cookies there are. They smell and taste like Christmas, and they are so so good. That, and they ring in at under a euro, and you can eat two for less than 100 calories. Score!
And who doesn't love Christmas Haribo...don't worry Mom, I will send you some of these :)
These are a few of my favorite things...
P.S. Two times this week, once by my room mate and once by a colleague, on different days, told me I smell like Christmas. I think it's funny! I don't use any special lotion or anything...maybe it's the scent of Spekulatius coming out of my pores...!
No comments:
Post a Comment