Saturday, September 29, 2012

Heidelberg Grand Opening

On Thursday several weeks ago, I was asked to help prepare for a dinner for some important guests from the States. Board members, vice president of international affairs and the president of the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, TX came to visit Ingersheim as part of their trip for the grand opening of the European Study Center in Heidelberg. My company and UIW are 50/50 shareholders of this new joint-venture, and came for the innaguration.

After having set up, Silke (one of my colleagues) and I anxiously anticiapted their arrival. They couldn't have come on a more gorgeous day. The weather was perfect, and the atmosphere at the castle was a perfect way to welcome our international guests. I had a great time getting to know the board members, and enjoyed talking with them.

The next day, Antje (my office mate and mentor) and I picked up Heide (the American who has been with the company for more than 10 years, and who is on maternity leave at the moment) and drove to Heidelberg after a half-day at work. We helped with some last-minute prep before mingling with the guests, and once everything was ready, we sat in one of the large halls and listened to some very interesting speaches as part of the opening ceremony.

Afterwards, the champaigne flowed (thanks to me refilling everyone's glasses) and everyone was having a fantastic time. It was a really great party with many important guests (all of the UIW folks, members of the press, the German government, etc...). The party that I had been helping plan since I set foot in Ingersheim was finally off and running without a hitch. It was great, and I think people really enjoyed themselves. It was great to see everything finished (remember when Christine and I went to help move furniture and cleaned?), and that all the hard work pays off. It was a great success! I met many great people, and look forward to hopefully keeping in touch with them!

Spread the word! European Study Center in Heidelberg, Germany is now open for business!

No comments:

Post a Comment