Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Stuttgarter Weihnachtsmarkt



I have now been to my second-favorite Christmas market of all time. Mainz of course is comes in first place. However, the Christmas market in Stuttgart this past weekend was really quite remarkable. I had probably the best day I have had in a long time on Saturday, and I hope I can describe it well enough to convey just how great it really was.

I ventured to Stuttgart on the bus and train, and began meandering along the shopping street and pedestrian area just outside of the main train station. There are huge shops, with everything you could imagine. As I kept walking through the generally crowded streets, I began to see more and more Christmas market stands, and began to smell all the wonderful smells. Needless to say, this market was huge. In 7 hours I still didn’t get to see everything! The weather cooperate nicely, as the skies were clear, but the temperature was somewhere around freezing. 


As I began to walk through the market, I realized that it just kept going and going! This market was absolutely huge, and I loved every square inch of it! I had a couple of things in mind that I wanted to look for, and I just about scored the jackpot. Unfortunately I can’t tell you all of the story, as it might give away some of the Christmas gifts I bought, but let me assure you that these gifts are rare, unique and perfect.

One story I will tell you is about my time at an olive wood stand. I am able to tell you this story because I have already told my Mom, the benefactor of the outcome of this story. So, I was walking along, checking out all the cool stands and I happened upon this stand that sells things out of olive wood – carved nativity scenes, ornaments and other things. My Mom told me she wanted a nativity scene that was something similar to one I had bought in Mainz when I studied there, and low and behold, I was looking at the same thing (come to find out they only have 7 stands in all of Germany, Mainz and Stuttgart included). I began looking around and then a friend called and said she and her friends were at the market (I was meeting my room mate and her friends there). I had a quick look and then went to meet Svenja.

After meeting with Svenja and her friends, and parting with them as they were on their way to a concert, I went back to the olive wood stand. At one point I was the only person there, and the woman selling the wares and I began to talk. She began telling me all about how each thing was made, how each piece is unique and caved out by artisans in southern Germany, how you might pay a little more but you know it was made in Germany and that you are getting a unique piece, etc. I told her that I wanted to buy a nativity scene, especially for my Mom, and since I am doing an internship abroad I thought it would be nice to send her something made in Germany. The woman looked at me like I said something strange, and said to me, “My dear, you’re not from here?” I said, “No, I am from the U.S.” She replied, “America?” I said, “Yes, America!” (Land of the free, home of the brave!!). She couldn’t believe that I could speak such good German! Yup, got another one! So I told her that I had studied in Mainz, taught in Vienna and now am doing the internship here in the area. She said, oh then you must have seen our stand in Mainz! I said, why yes, because I have a nativity scene similar to this one! Long story short, I couldn’t decide between the beautiful nativity scenes. However, one big one caught my eye. It had a price on it that was cheaper than ones smaller. I asked about it and she said that the figures weren’t included. Burst my bubble. Then I was back to square one with my decision.

All of them were neat, but I couldn’t decide what I wanted. The woman was so kind and patient with me, kept talking to me and at one point was telling me how difficult it was because she was there alone, and couldn’t take a break and go to the bathroom! She asked me if while I was deciding I could watch over her stand while she went! I told her I would try! Off she went. 15 minutes later she finally came back (good thing nobody wanted to buy anything!) and talked with me some more. I had the feeling that she might be willing to barter (which is quite uncommon at the markets), but I was willing to try! In the end I got the big nativity scene and figures for the price of one of the small carved sets. Score! The woman was so genuinely sweet and nice, and had a soft spot for me I think. After she packed up my treasures, she came out of her stall, gave me a big hug and kissed me on the cheek, wishing me all the best. She asked how old I was, I told her, and she said she had three daughters and that I could easily fit right in there. How sweet! Though I wouldn’t trade my awesome Mom for anything!!!!! She was so sweet to me, and told me to always think of her when we put out the nativity scene. I don’t think I could do anything else!

This experience proved to me that there are still wonderful, genuine, nice people out there. To be embraced and feel so loved and supported by a total stranger is something I will never forget. This woman was so kind to me, it was just so amazing to experience something like that. Everyone has good and bad days, you meet nice people and of course there are rude people, pushy people (literally), etc, and for all of the not so nice or friendly people I have encountered, this woman helped wash those all away. I don’t know if she realized just what an impact she had on me.




(How cool is this nutcracker!?!)

I came away from the market having had one of the best days on record here in Germany. I’m looking forward to going back to the market in Stuttgart at some point, and also to exploring some of the other local markets as well. What I loved about the Stuttgart market was how each roof of each stall was so ornately decorated. Enjoy the pictures! Hope you are all enjoying the holiday preparation! I know I am. 




 There is no better time to be in Germany than right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment