It looks like I have some catching up to do! I’m sorry I
haven’t been updating my blog like I should, but sometimes you just don’t want
to turn on the computer after staring at one for the past 9 hours. At any rate,
update time it is!
A week and a half ago the Christmas markets started opening
in Germany!
The Christmas market in Heidelberg
opened the day before Thanksgiving! Germans don’t celebrate our Thanksgiving,
naturally. And so needless to say, my Thanksgiving this year was VERY
un-American. I cooked for lunch that day, and I cooked what will now be known
as Thanksgiving Chili. I thought it was good, and my colleagues “gobbled” it up
(ok I couldn’t resist putting a little Thanksgiving pun in here somewhere…!).
So, on the 24th of November, Myriam and I took
the train up to Heidelberg to meet up with one
of our colleagues from the Heidelberg
campus and a professor and student. It was really nice to get to a big city and
see….people! We are so isolated here that you see really only the people you
work with every day. The weekends are when I try to get out (way out) and
experience something new. It was so nice to go to Heidelberg and enjoy the scenery and my first
Christmas market of the season!
The first thing we did was have lunch at a Mexican restaurant
in Heidelberg.
Granted it wasn’t super authentic, but for Germany that was as authentic as it
gets! It was pretty good, and I have to say their guacamole wasn’t half bad!
Next we hit the street…the longest pedestrian shopping street in Europe, if I am correct. We made lots of stops at all the
Christmas market stalls in the city center, took a look inside the Käthe
Wolfhart store, where they have Christmas ornaments and decorations year-round,
and drank some Glühwein (spiced mulled wine). I came home with a couple of
treasures, and enjoyed seeing the market very much. The sights, smells and
sounds are indescribable. It is just really a special time of year in Germany.
Mmmmm....MEAT!


No comments:
Post a Comment